Looking for the Best Famous Quotes?
The Sports Quotation -- Our Top 10 List of Favorites...
You don't have to be an athlete to love sports quotations. They're funny, motivating, and practical, and they fit well into just about any situation.
Whether a coach, a fan or just a parent cheering on your pee wee football player you'll find a use for a good sports quote.
And don't worry: not every sports quotation praises sports to high heaven. We don't just have motivational sports quotations, we also have snarky jokes and observations -- such as George Will's contention that "football is a mistake. It combines two of the worst things about American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings."
Don't worry, coaches -- we have plenty of inspirational sports quotations too (such as this one from Greg Hickman: "Whenever you get knocked down in the game of life, immediately get up, get better, and get going again.")
There are so many famous sports quotations it would take weeks to sift through them all, so let us help you with the work. These are the very best of sports quotations, so use them, enjoy them, and most of all, have fun.
Play hard and quote better with the best of sports quotations in our...
Top 10 List of Favorite Sports Quotations:
- Favorite Sports Quotation #1
- A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi, American Football Coach
- Favorite Sports Quotation #2
- Football is a mistake. It combines two of the worst things about American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.
- Favorite Sports Quotation #3
- If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record.
- Favorite Sports Quotation #4
- Baseball has the great advantage over cricket of being sooner ended.
George Bernard Shaw
- Favorite Sports Quotation #5
- When I joined the Tour I studied the best players to see what they did that I didn't do. I came to the conclusion that the successful players had the Three Cs: Confidence, Composure, Concentration.
Bob Toski, American Golfer
- Favorite Sports Quotation #6
- In sports, mental imagery is used primarily to help you get the best out of yourself in training and competition. The developing athletes who make the fastest progress and those who ultimately become their best make extensive use of mental imagery. They use it daily as a means of directing what will happen in training, and as a way of pre-experiencing their best competition performances.
- Favorite Sports Quotation #7
- So you wish to conquer in the Olympic games, my friend? And I too, by the Gods, and a fine thing it would be. But first mark the conditions and the consequences, and then set to work. You will have to put yourself under discipline; to eat by rule, to avoid cakes and sweetmeats; to take exercise at the appointed hour whether you like it or no, in cold and heat; to abstain from cold drinks and from wine at your will; in a word, to give yourself over to the trainer as to a physician. Then in the conflict itself you are likely enough to dislocate your wrist or twist your ankle, to swallow a great deal of dust, or to be severely thrashed, and, after all these things, to be defeated.
Epictetus, Greek Stoic Philosopher
- Favorite Sports Quotation #8
- The Olympic Games are not just ordinary world championships but a quadrennial festival of universal youth, the springtime of mankind, a festival of supreme efforts, multiple ambitions and all forms of youthful activity celebrated by each succeeding generation as it arrives on the threshold of adulthood.
Pierre de Coubertin
- Favorite Sports Quotation #9
- Thus so wretched is man that he would weary even without any cause for weariness... and so frivolous is he that, though full of a thousand reasons for weariness, the least thing, such as playing billiards or hitting a ball, is sufficient enough to amuse him.
- Favorite Sports Quotation #10
- I guess there is nothing that will get your mind off everything like golf. I have never been depressed enough to take up the game, but they say you get so sore at yourself you forget to hate your enemies.